Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I’m someone who goes into expensive stores and walks out empty handed.
I just don’t understand who would buy a simple tank top thats from a designer store that is like 500+ dollars. I used to think only celebrities or super rich people could afford that stuff.
But lately I have actually been paying attention to the brands people are wearing on this site.
I saw one girl who said she bought new boots from Barneys, and I remembered reading that store name in the Gossip Girl series, so I looked at the site only to find that the average pair of boots is like 1,200 dollars! A PAIR OF SANDALS IS LIKE 500 DOLLARS!
I have worked for 2 years and the only money I have to my name is 2000 (after buying things at regular retail stores, and xmas presents and all that..)
which is precious precious money that I would never spend over 100 dollars on anything!

So heres my question basically…
Is everyone on this site rich?
How do you find 1000+ dollars for a dress or shoes or anything?!

posted over 10 years ago
1 2
New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I do believe that you can find style at any price..it’s how you choose to wear things. So, someone bought an expensive tank..it’s what they like. I have no say about such things, but personally, I wouldn’t. Nowadays, there are a lot of deals on designer items.

The other day, I saw these zip up gladiator heels at dolce vita for $99. I went to cathy jean and saw the similar style for $99 but on sale for $75. Also, I saw the same style again but Michael Kors for $150 on sale for $99. What would you pick if you had the chance?

When I shop, it can be cheap because I know it won’t last long, like some purses. I got a F21 purse and wore it everyday and it’s already falling apart after 6 months. Whereas I got a Burberry purse as a present and wore it almost everyday and it’s still in good condition after 2 years. So there is something to be said about quality, construction, and style of a expensive designer item.

As for expensive items, I usually make sure that I’d wear it often, get the best use of it and make sure that I didn’t get because it’s trendy. Also, others shop differently than others and what they choose to put up on Chictopia may be their best wardrobe….not just everyday outfits.

posted about 10 years ago

asailorwentto_sea
Style_council
asailorwentt...

Aaah, I’m so glad that somebody else wonders why people spend ridiculous amounts on items that can be bought so much cheaper.
I really have never seen the need to spend four times as much for a vest with the designer logo on, than something exactly the same without the logo.

I buy new clothes quite regularly, but try not to buy things that I know i’ll regret buying the next day. The trick is to invest in pieces that you know you’ll wear, rather than to buy something hugely expensive that breaks the bank and only matches one or two things in the wardrobe!

Yesterday, whilst talking to my boyfriend, I told him I needed to change my summer wardrobe to my autumn/winter clothes soon, )as England is getting colder by the day :() and he just looked at me really blankly and asked if I have clothes for different times of the year.
Some people can just get away with wearing the same clothes throughout the year with just changing a few pieces.

I can’t believe this, only the first paragraph was relevant. I apologise :(

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

There are things I am willing to spend money on and things that I’m not. Growing up, my mom always tried to teach me about paying for quality and if i buy a really cheap top its only going to last a wash or two. I never really believed her until I went to college and bought a ton of clothes from F21 (cheapp!!). Well, most of the tops I could only wear twice until the fabric pilled and just looked terrible.

I’m a waitress and am not rich by any means but I’d much rather spend more on fewer things so I know they will last at least a few years. I’m addicted to Free People and usually only buy from their sale stuff, bluefly, or ebay. I get all my basics from American Apparel outlets on Ebay too; a shirt is usually 1/3 the price!

New_user 35263 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 35263 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

i can understand that if you have the money to buy a super expensive item and you really like it that you’d get it, but no matter how much i love clothes i don’t think i could bring myself to spend a huge chunk of change on, say, a tshirt. i have a few items that are somewhat expensive (around $100) but i bought them after much consideration and deciding that in a few years i’d still like it and it would still be in good condition. i could only spend that much money on something if it’s timeless, generally well-made, and would still be on my mind a day later if i didn’t buy it. but i can get just as excited about something that i got at goodwill as something i got at nordstrom. and i’d feel better about the thing i got at goodwill because i only spent a few dollars on it and i don’t have to be nervous about ruining it. i’m also a person who avoids trendy items unless i’m totally obsessed with it and have been thinking about it for weeks. and then i’ll probably get it at target or something. basically i just don’t find it necessary to pour all of your funds into your wardrobe, although i understand how great it feels to have a designer item.

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

Geez, I’m 26 with decent-paying job at a law firm and even I wonder where people are getting the money for designer threads! Maybe I’m an over-frugal nitwit, but I can’t justify spending more than $100 on any one item, and it has to be something good, like a winter coat or some well-constructed boots.

About half my closet consists of things purchased from two to ten years ago, I kid you not. And yes, a good chunk of it was from Target and Forever 21. No joke, one of my favorite shirts is a grey V-neck tunic from F21 that I bought when I was 19 and it’s still in great shape. Then again, I wash any F21 or similar quality items in a delicate cycle with Woolite, and hang dry. Caring for your clothes properly is an under-appreciated and under-reported aspect of the well-stocked wardrobe.

That’s not to say I don’t own a single designer item — I just don’t pay that much for them. I’m lucky enough to have an aunt who blows hundreds of dollars on designer purses, then passes them on to me by the year’s end. And like some of the above posters, I have to say the sample sale is a godsend!

Of course, designer or not, I think it all depends on how you wear it. If you’re rocking your outfit and owning it to the fullest, it could be Calvin Klein or Kmart, as long as you feel your best in it, it wouldn’t even matter.

EveyHoneysuckle
Style_council
EveyHoneysuckle

The most I’ve spent on something is like, 50 bucks. I wouldn’t mind getting something over my price budget every so often, but it’s hard to find something you REALLY like and would REALLY use for an expensive price, after all, I’d hate to buy something I realize doesn’t match a majority of my wardrobe or something. If anything, I’d have to look around before I make any major decisions.

Also I would agree with quality and stuff, but there’s always a limit (for most of us haha). If I had the money to be shopping Betsey Johnson or something, clearance ranks come first ;D

posted over 9 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

omg, I am not rich at all!

I have no real designer clothes, except the ones that made debuts at Target and more affordable stores.

posted over 9 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

hi

Some people pretend to be rich and then just buy in the sales ,

Most designer clothes are made in India , China for a fraction of the cost that we pay- stupid but true.
I dont see the point of buying a tanktop for £50 !! most people shop around anyway – i just wait for most expensive brands to have sales ,

anyway you get more clothes for your money then ,

TKMax can be good as well ,

x

posted over 9 years ago

cem90
Style_council
cem90

I’m not rich, my family isn’t rich, and it’s ok with me. I tend to shop bargain or thrifty, but not cheap.
That is, I buy what I know will last. If a company has a reputation for making jeans that strech out, wear thin, or anything of the sort, I won’t get that product, even if it does only cost ten bucks. Sure, I’ve been suckered into wasting what may seem like very little on items that cost way less, but better that than believing the lie that the ticket price has to be more than two digits long on the left side of the decimal point for me to be chic.
It’s true, looks are important, but I think too many people are too obsessed with what they wear and so they forget about what’s truly important in this life. The sad thing is, too many people are financially unable to indulge yet choose to do so anyways.
As for being able to afford designer, that’s easier to do for some people than others. In other words, “if you want it, go work for it” only applies to some extent. Saving is also key.
I think they call “investment pieces” that for a reason – you work your butt off, so you invest your money in something that will work for you for a long time.
As for those girls who can afford things in the triple (or quadruple!) digit price range, my jaw still drops at the fact that the price of cotton can go so high. It’s so out of my world that I find it incredible, haha.
But for the meantine, I’ll stick with my $30 jeans.

posted over 9 years ago

heck
Style_council
heck

A lot of people can’t afford expensive items, and I think a lot of people here can’t either. I think when you see people with those items they either get a deal on it, or they don’t normally spend so much on items but did just for that.

That being said, the most expensive clothing I own are my glasses… which I wear everyday. So I don’t know.

posted over 9 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password