Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
hannahsmithy
Style_council
hannahsmithy

A few days ago, I tried to go to Chictopia and discovered it was blocked.. I just can’t understand why in the world they would block it! Any ideas?
(using a proxy right now, like the rest of Beijing)

Me: CHICTOPIA HAS FALLEN.
Friend: Style.com will be next.. sob

posted about 9 years ago
1 2
Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

that’s awful! but although I do love some American Apparrel clothes, their ads on this site can be pretty graphic/revealing sometimes. Maybe the server thinks the adverts are too risque? because most of the people on here are definitely fully-clothed because that’s the point! hehe

posted about 9 years ago

KaylaMeow
Style_council
KaylaMeow

just gotta say luckily i dont live in there ! :)

posted about 9 years ago

hannahsmithy
Style_council
hannahsmithy

they do have social networking sites, and Google is definitely not blocked.
Me and my friends mostly just use proxies, it’s really not that bad.
The Great Firewall of China (that’s what people call it, right?) is annoying, but they don’t really restrict anything else. We get all the movies here. Just saying.

Really want Chictopia back though T.T

posted about 9 years ago

amoebaeinwedges
Style_council
amoebaeinwedges

china blocks everything including facebook and well google haha

posted about 9 years ago

trishayluvbieber
Style_council
trishayluvbi...

weirdd.

posted about 9 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

“china is a closed country. they are private to the world about what they do and how they do it. it is hard to enter the country; hard to leave and harder to meet with heads of state.”

^ ^ ^This quote is not accurate. I work for a Chinese family and have contact with a lot of Chinese people. They all go back and forth all the time. Sometimes, they are there for only 10 days, then come back. It’s actually the US government that makes it hard to come back (unless you have $400 to pay the “fees”). I live in Seattle, which is an important city on the Pacific Rim. We have a HUGE population of people from all over Asia and Russia, and since the Chinese are big players in global real estate, we have many Chinese dignitaries and businessmen who come to invest in Washington State.

Becoming a Communist country who practices Consumerism (still blows my mind) has changed China a great deal and they are just trying to control the on-slot of cultural changes this creates. Like a couple people mentioned, they usually create their own version of a site they block, in hopes of keeping the people happy as well as guarding them from too many Western ideas.

Sure, they still censor the Bible and they censor a lot of sites, but it’s because they want to keep Chinese culture intact. It is something that China has always believed to be very important: don’t let outside cultures ruin Chinese culture. Of course, this doesn’t mean they haven’t tried to ruin their culture from the inside (cough*Chairman Mao*cough)…

posted over 7 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password