Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Frugality
Style_council
Frugality

Have you ever heard that saying that people wear 10% of their closet about 90% of the time?

You know, your neutrals, that perfect blazer, that one pair of shoes that matches with everything.

Some people don’t really have the 10% problem because they stick to certain colors/styles, and all of their closet matches. I tend to go through color phases and style phases, so the 10% for me is a rotating one from year to year. Something I wear three times a week one semester can turn into something I wear only once another semester.

However, every semester I always sit down and try to force myself to really use the most of my closet, taking out the items that don’t get enough wear and trying to come up with new ways to wear them, and then set up some kind of quota. As in, gee, I own almost 10 vests, I really should be wearing a vest every week or two if all of these are to see the light of day. I just feel bad for the clothes that sit in the back of the closet. Poor shirt that never gets to go out and be shown off.

How do you guys try to go beyond the 10%?

posted over 10 years ago
1 2
rawscientist
Style_council
rawscientist

Well to be honest I only wear the new clothes and tend to forget about the old ones. Maybe I should try and see how can I wear the old ones. Need to practice more on mix and match

posted over 9 years ago

SeekingStyle
Style_council
SeekingStyle

i think i wear at leas 80% of my closet haha i think its because i dont have a large wardrobe in the first place so unless i want to be wearing the same thing all the time, i have to

posted over 9 years ago

RoswellVixen
Style_council
RoswellVixen

i think the percentage of clothes i use changes throughout the seasons… like in winter, i will tend to wear the same things over and over because i hate winter and everythings just going to be covered up by a jacket and i dont really get to go too many places since its usually snowing alot and crappy out so it tends to drag my mood down and not motivate me to be as into what im wearing as i would when its warm out. most of my closet consists of summery clothing which, come summertime, i try my best to go through as much of it as possible. people will be seeing these outfits more because ill be out and about and wont be all covered up by a jacket, therefore i feel the motivation to come up with new looks every time. but i do agree about having some items that are too dressy that i bought because i loved them, then never found an occasion to wear them lol you feel kinda bad about it but then again, you never know just when that occasion WILL pop up.

posted over 9 years ago

AttemptingStyle
Style_council
AttemptingStyle

the problem I run into is I hate doing laundry, so I only wear new things to avoid having to wash things, and then the stuff at the bottom of the basket barely gets worn. I wear about 40% of my shoes though, and considering how many shoes I have thats a huge accomplishment.

posted over 9 years ago

Cecilology
Style_council
Cecilology

I know I use more than 10% of my clothing, but that’s because I purged my closet not too long ago of the stuff I never ever wore. I’m probably at 60% now…

posted over 9 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

i wear almost all my clothes all the time. i have this terrible habit of not wanting to do my laundry, and so i’ll go a month where i’ll wear everything in my closet, and don’t do my laundry til i find that i’ve only got two pairs of underwear left haha

posted over 9 years ago

anniehall
Style_council
anniehall

I just purged my closet but i still didnt throw away everything that i dont wear…i cant seem to part with something ive paid for and still fits me..even if i dont wear it..i keep telling myself “what if i need that sweater in a few months time”…plus i have a shopping addiction so that doesnt help either…i buy new clothes and wear them while neglecting my old clothes…i should really do another purge and rid my closet of anything i havn’t worn in the last year.

posted over 9 years ago

Alice_Cullen
Style_council
Alice_Cullen

yeah, I’m probably one of those people… I’m trying to wear more things, but it’s really hard… there are things than I can’t get to look right on me. Besides most of the times I dress in a rush, or if I don’t then it’s because I want to look particulary good and then I go for the clothes I already know that looks good with this or that…

posted over 9 years ago

maryyasmine
Style_council
maryyasmine

I can’t wear the same thing twice so I guess this doesn’t apply for me. Yet , when I feel I’ve not used the whole potential of an outfit I wear it multiple times. If I was wearing only 10% of my closet I would still have a long way to go before repeating outfits :)

posted over 9 years ago

HandbagsandGladrags
Style_council
HandbagsandG...

i declutter my wardrobe pretty frequently so if something hasnt been worn in the last 3 months (with the exception of cocktail dresses/party dresses) i send it to a charity shop. It means my wardrobe isnt really overpowering and it means i know exactly what’s in there so i can wear everything often.

posted over 9 years ago

jihar08
New_user jihar08 is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When jihar08 reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
jihar08

It seems that they can have it all with just one snap. Good thing is that they love doing that.

see more in sliding closet doors for bedrooms

posted over 7 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password