Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
rainelyn
Style_council
rainelyn

every issue seems to get shittier and shittier. am i getting older/less hip or what? and wtf happened to JANE magazine? chictopia should branch out to magazineland. seriously.

posted almost 11 years ago
foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

i concur! yeah, i’m totally put off by nylon now – it used to be so much more mature! now it looks like cobrasnake’s the new editor of tigerbeat, everything’s psedo-terry richardson photography, electrotrash neon (i thought we were over this already?) with super lazy content (cyndi lauper as a style icon? come oooooonn!) and pandering (fawning over scarlett johansen’s album? REAlly guys?) featuring a rotation of every stale flavor-of-the minute each month. It may just be me getting older, sure, but I did happen upon an issue from about 2002 and boy, was it ever different. muted colors, sparse layout, the clothes more, well, stylish and mature. hardly a trend in sight.
There’ll always be a soft spot, but i think i’m done with nylon.
//rant over

_diana
Style_council
_diana

i miss jane too! i don’t know where it went, but i guess it just wasn’t selling enough?
but yeah boo nylon. i’ll still read it from time to time, i don’t really know why. occasionally they have cute things. like in their last one there was one entire page of things i liked. ...out of what, 200 pages?

stephanista
Style_council
stephanista

I still love Nylon I have to admit, but the celebrities they choose are ridiculous. If I wanted to see Paris Hilton in a magazine, I would have bought one of the many other ones she is always in

kassndra
Style_council
kassndra

Magazines change, yeah it’s different but I won’t stop reading it:)

sneakachu
Style_council
sneakachu

I started looking at it more frequently when Urban Outfitters gave out free subscriptions. I feel like it’s MySpace teens meets ViceLand’s Dos and Don’ts a lot of the time, but I’m still able to pull inspiration from it. Plus, it’s always nice to be aware of new music/movies/designers/products. I haven’t opened the one with Paris on it yet. Actually, I think it’s my “final issue” and has that paper order form over the cover, and when I turned that page I put the whole magazine down.

surlaplage
Style_council
surlaplage

i did the free subscriptions too.
the issue that came round today?
had paris hilton on the cover.
an onion salad is more appealing than her and i don’t like onions.

cherichictopia
Style_council
cherichictopia

Chictopia is in the November issue of Nylon (Paris Hilton cover) – named as one of the 4 best style sites :-)

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

hah, yeah boo on the constant myspace tie-ins.

Stuntman
Style_council
Stuntman

agree! what are they doing..?!

stephanista
Style_council
stephanista

magazines need to market themselves so that people actually read them though, and I don’t have a myspace but a lot of people do. I’d rather that type of marketing than the type that involves paris hilton

sneakachu
Style_council
sneakachu

Oh, stephanista, what I meant was that’s who it seems like it’s being written/run by a lot of the time. Nothing wrong with MySpace or marketing to its users!

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

From a publications point-of-view, Nylon’s been focusing on the elements that work best for its target audience: simple stories, sparse visuals, and self-conscious fashion decisions. Which isn’t to say that it’s a bad magazine; it’s just an awful magazine.

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

exactly, geekbonchic – i think somewhere in the last five years their target audience has changed. Reading them used to make me feel like i had some cool older sister who was well-read and had great hair – now each issue is utterly disposable. But hey, they’re probably doing better now than they ever were

stephanista
Style_council
stephanista

oh i see what you mean now, and I agree its totally ok to market to certain groups but no one should dictate the content in order to do so. but lol to the cool older sister comment

plastikneon
Style_icon
plastikneon

Yeah…it’s gotten terrible.
I’m not re-subscribing.
And Paris Hilton is feature on the cover with a Paris for President shirt
Geh…

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

haha. paris hilton. i knew there was something wrong there. :|

heykc
Style_council
heykc

DUDEZ PARIS HILTON HAS LYK THE BEEEST STYLE EVERR.
aha joke.

quepasa
Style_council
quepasa

omfg hollister sells nylon now :\

posted over 10 years ago

ERose08
Style_council
ERose08

OH boo. I was ok with how simple the magazine has gotten, I usually just look through the mags for tear sheets to put in a collage.. but I’m sorry…. HOLLISTER. now that’s sad.

posted over 10 years ago

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

eh, the last two issues were pretty icky, sad to say. >_<

posted over 10 years ago

CSWSlaura
Style_council
CSWSlaura

yeah but like nylon isnt the only one, i mean this months Vogue was horrible, ususually i am isnpired by something but this months was small (lack of ads and the economy) and not any good content. and Nylon the layouts seem so umporfessional idk irt dissapoints me

posted over 10 years ago

hhaak
Style_council
hhaak

probaly because they’re pretty much paid to put all that crazy shit they do in the issue. they don’t even use real indie people anymore.

its been bad for awhile bu now its just real crap.

you have to remember though that big corporations are making it almost IMPOSSIBLE for the little man. look around you- their are tons of examples:

• your fave small eatery getting shut down.
  • boutiques carrying the more “it”-ish brands and super trendy stuff
  • more celebrities cashing in on, well ANYTHING- its sick. most of them dont do anything but be somewhere in free clothes

so its almost more of a survival mechanism i guess you can say.
sad but true.

we can only hope more a better more independent indie world in the future.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BUSINESSES!!

hh

posted over 10 years ago

joochu
Style_council
joochu

the most recent nylon guys did a feature on burberry.. “christopher bailey: keeping burberry cool!”

hasnt this topic been covered lots of times since his appointment in 2001?

lame.

posted over 10 years ago

backseat5am
Style_council
backseat5am

I only wish NYLON was more diverse. It’s always full of skinny white girls.

posted over 10 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password